Forum Discussion

KendylBrockman
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Changing Forms

Hello!

I'm wondering if there is a way to change/ update a form within an app without changing the format on forms that have been filled out prior to the change?  Thank you!

------------------------------
Kendyl Brockman

1 Reply

• If you're lucky and don't need to show records that use both new and old forms in the same report, you can achieve this simply by changing the form that is used for any individual report.

For the rest of us, this solution is not as elegant as I would like, but it is something I have used in the absence of more dynamic form routing features.

Note: This solution assumes you have some field in the table that you can use to determine whether the record should use the old version of the form or the new version of the form.

Before making any changes, make a copy of the form in its current state.

Then, create a new button via the Formula - URL field. The goal of the url will be to direct the user to the same record, but using the old version of the form (the copy that you made). It could look something like this:
    URLRoot() & "db/" & "?a=er&rid=" & [Record ID#] & "&dfid={ID}"

You'll be replacing {ID} with the form id of the duplicate you made.

You may also want to make a variant for viewing the record, for that you'll just replace ?a=er with ?a=dr

Now, it is time to make the changes you were planning. When you are finished put a section at the top of the page that says something attention grabbing to the user, like "Warning! Use the old form for this record.". In this section you can place your buttons and any helpful message to the user you want. You'd want to hide the section using that condition that can tell where to route the form. For you that may be date, so When [Date Created] is before "XX-XX-XXXX" show the Section "Warning! Use....".

Justin Torrence
    Quickbase Expert, Jaybird Technologies
    jtorrence@jaybirdtechnologies.com
    https://www.jaybirdtechnologies.com/#community-post