Forum Discussion

GeromeRich
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

Conditional Drop Down between four tables (in a square relationship)

I would like to set up a conditional dropdown between four tables.   But to me it doesn?t appear to be a cascading dropdown as set up.  I have no issue with regular dropdowns but this one has me stuck and I can't find a similar query here in the community.  (Apologies if it is there and I have either missed it, or misunderstood it!)

The relationship between the tables is:

SubContract -< SubContract Lines

SubContract - < Invoice

Invoice - < Invoice Lines

SubContract Lines - < Invoice Lines.

Each sub-contract will have a number of SubContract Lines of detail against which we need to track expenditure against each. The expenditure coming in the form of invoices.

When invoices come in they will have multiple detail lines in them, that will correspond to the SubContract Lines, and hence we need to be record them against the relevant sub-contract line.

So when creating an invoice I want to be able to select the contract.   This I can do easily.

Then when I add an invoice line to the invoice, I want a dropdown that allows me to select from the lines in the corresponding contract.

Cant his be done natively?  Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Yes,  you are really close.
    You need to pass a lookup value to the invoice lines table, from the invoice table.

It needs to be the [Related Contract] value, most likely a numeric reference field.
    Once that [Related Contract] value is passed to the lines.  Now you can use that to control the conditional values in your lines table.

Let me know if that helps, or I might have missed a step.
  • Brilliant!  Works perfectly.  And now I have a much better understanding about how the conditional dropdowns actually work, rather than just knowing by rote!

Thank you very much!