Forum Discussion

AndrewRyder
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

conditional dropdown

Hi,

I'm trying to utilize conditional dropdowns and running into an issue that I can't figure out. 

Here's the relationships:
Project Management App has Projects. Each Project has many Sign Types (think of these as Products associated with a Project).
Production App syncs Projects. Each Project (sync table) has many Production Tasks.

Production Managers Task via Production Tasks. They click on a button on the Project sync table in Production and it associates the Production Task with the Project (in the sync table) but I lookup the Record ID#2 (the original in PM app).

Nothing unusual here.

What we're looking to do is gain further granularity into how long each Production Task associated with a specific Product (each Project has anywhere from 1 to sometimes 100). So, I created a join table "PT Chains" in Productions to help with this many-to-many relationship. Production Tasks -> PT Chains <- Products. Utilized lookups to bring the related "project" from Products and Production Tasks has the "Record ID#2" which is the same ID in the Production App.

I've tried to use Grid Edit and directly adding a new record into "PT Chains" but inside that table, if I enable "Conditional Values" and try to line-up the Record ID#2 and "Related Project" from Sign Types (first attachment) but it seems like this is entering into a circular relationship, where I think it should work.

Production Manager creates a Production Task off of the related project. The "Add PT" is a normal Formula URL with the associated fields already filled, so it knows of the Record ID #2 field, which is the record id of the project. Then, as they're creating the task, they should be able to "add in" via grid edit, the specific sign types (products) that the task is related to, since you could be working on more than one, and there's thousands of products, so I'm trying to limit the selection to ONLY the sign types related to that specific project.

I'd think this works but it doesn't​. It's like a chicken-and-egg or something isn't working right. I can't select any STs (products) because PT Chains (join table) seems to not be inheriting the associated lookup field from the task. Any clues? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
Andrew Ryder

2 Replies

• Is that field in your screen shot for Record D#2 visible on the form?  Is there a value in it? 

When you have a CDD the field on which the drop down is conditioned must be on the form, even if hidden by a form rule.  But while you are on debug mode, make it visible and see what's in that field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AndrewRyder
      Qrew Cadet
      Blank. I thought about it more, and the problem is that when the Production Task is created, there are no "Related" PT Chains created, even though Grid Edit is allowing me to enter some. It's a chicken-egg thing.

Unless I'm overthinking this?

If I could use Dynamic Form Rules to populate something on PT Chains (displayed via Grid Edit), that would work. I don't think you can, though. 

I created an Automation that when a Prod Task is created, it created 10 blank PT Chains. This works. There's then 10 entries where someone can associate a PT to a ST. It's messy but I cannot think of any other way. A nightly Cron can clean up the "blank" entries to limit the junk.

It makes sense but I wish QB would allow for a non-IOL solution here. I couldn't think how to do this with Pipelines, either. 

Unless there is some way to use a multi-select here? I tried that before but that didn't work. I was trying to do a summary combined text into one using some Formulas, but its not limited to the scope of the specific project, so all Sign Types were showing. 

Any other ideas?

Andrew Ryder