Forum Discussion

PaulStreit
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Copying parent and children down multiple levels

I have a complex application where I was using the Quickbase Copy Master and Detail Records routine to generate a "Copy Record" button that recursively copies a parent record and multiple levels of children. It worked great until I added a table with a custom primary key instead of Record ID#. This broke the copy function because it only works with table primary keys that are the built-in Record ID# (I verified this in the help file). I tried recreating the button and selecting different settings to exclude the offending relationship, but it's multiple levels down from the parent table and there's no option to exclude relationships except at the first level below the parent.

What I need is a copy button just like the Quickbase Copy Master and Detail Records routine generates, but I need to exclude a one relationship two child levels down. I don't think this will work with the Quickbase routine, so is there another way, perhaps with automations or pipelines?

I have a parent table that connects to two child tables. One of the child tables then connects to six grandchild tables. It's one of the grandchild tables that I want to exclude.

Thank you,
Paul Streit

------------------------------
Paul Streit

5 Replies

• I ran into a similar issue with a client situation.  We absolutely needed to solve the problem and we had a budget to work with.  I liaised on behalf of my client with a larger QSP shop which had in-house JavaScript  skills and they wrote a script. I seem to recall the cost was between $5-10K.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      PaulStreit
      Qrew Member
      Thanks Mark. I think I figured out another way with a slight restructuring of my app. I will test it tomorrow, but I think it will work.

• You should be able to accomplish this with Pipelines, you'll just need a button that toggles some trigger field to start the process. Alternatively, you could have the button start the process by copying the Parent and give the user another button to import the child records, using the Table to Table import process. Neither is 100% ideal, but they're both reliable.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      PaulStreit
      Qrew Member
      Thank you! After thinking about this some more, I solved the problem a different way by slightly restructuring my app. I was able to bring the offending tables up one level in the hierarchy, which allowed me to exclude them from the copy operation through the Quick Base built-in routine. But your suggestions are good, and I will keep them in mind for the future.

MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        I figured my suggestions of high costs would motivate you to find Plan B.  Good for you for finding one.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com