Forum Discussion

JenniferJuhasz
Qrew Cadet
3 months ago

Count instances of value in table prior to date

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to create a field that counts the # of times an email address exists within a table based on a date field within that record.

Example: Record is created with an email address and a date of interaction.  Goal - return the # of times that email address already exists in other records on or before the date of that interaction.

My formula query currently is: Size(GetRecords("{145.OBF.'" & [Date of Interaction] & "'}"))

Which DOES work, but it's counting huge numbers, and I don't understand why.  The results are in the thousands, for an email address that if I search for it, only exists 21 times.  

I *think* it's because my field 145 is also a formula query which reads - Trim(If([NEW Contact Email Address]="",[Contacts Table Field - Email Address],[NEW Contact Email Address]))

I'm wondering if it's not counting the results in the field, but query; however, when I switched the field to the field 'NEW Contact Email Address] I returned tens of thousands of records rather than the very few times a staff member manually entered it as a 'NEW' contact rather than looking up the email from our contacts table.

Ideas? and thank you!  

6 Replies

• try this

var text QUERY =

"{99.EX.'" & [my email field] & "'}

& " AND "

& "{145.OBF.'" &[Date of Interaction]) & "'}";

Size(
    GetFieldValues(
    GetRecords($QUERY),3))

// change the 99 to the fid of your email field.

JenniferJuhasz
      Qrew Cadet

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for this - it does contain syntax errors that I'm not sure how to resolve.  It is looking for a semi-colon at the end of the first statement, but then when added it says the & in line two is "expecting a number".

145 = the fid of my email field; not quite sure how to work my way out of this one.

Thank you though for your help!

• Just an update - I'm still trying to understand the Count vs. Size functions; if I do 'Count' I'm returning a '1' value for every single record ...  I'm just missing something probably very simple here

• I've also tried a variation on a query posted by MarkShnier , but I'm not able to get a distinct count - it's only returning zeros:

var text QUERY = 
      "{145.EX.'" & ("{145.OBF.'" &[Date of Interaction]) & "'}";

Size(
    GetRecords($QUERY))

MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

OK, try this.

var text QUERY =

"{145.EX.'" & [my email field] & "'}"

& " AND "

& "{145.OBF.'" &[Date of Interaction]) & "'}";

Size(
      GetFieldValues(
      GetRecords($QUERY),3))

Note that in Formula Queries there is not a COUNT function.  It's called Size.  ie Size means to count the number of records returned by the Query.

JenniferJuhasz
        Qrew Cadet

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for this.  It worked without a syntax error after removing the ')' following [Date of Interaction]; however, the results are still nothing - no counts of any kind.  

When using an OBF function relating to an email address, I would think I would always have a '1' as a result, counting the record that's doing the request here...  If I search for a given email address I will get a range of results from 1 to 10 or 20 depending on the client, but never zero.  I understand the difference between Count and Size, but I still can't get either function to provide an accurate result.

I wonder if my challenge is to do with that my field with email addresses is actually a formula query combining two different/separate fields (it's an if-then field) as staff will populate a NEW address field if the client is New to us or perform a lookup of our contacts table if it's an existing client.  Ie - if NEW is blank, then use Existing so that there's always something to report with.

Thoughts?

Thank you!