Forum Discussion

Jay_DDS_
Qrew Cadet
8 years ago

Create a button to change the value of another field

I need to create a formula-URL field that displays a button on a form. When the button is clicked, I want the value for another field to be recorded as "Yes". I've done this before, and just tried to copy the forumula-url I used before but that didn't really work.

Help?

9 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    What is the field ID of your "Yes" field?  What its your Table ID? 

You will use the API Edit Record function, but you will need the DBID, the FID and an app token.  All of which can be found through the settings of your app.

The general format will be:

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_YOURTABLEID] & "?a=API_EditRecord&rid="&[Record ID#]&"&apptoken=yourapptoken&_fid_22=yes

*where your field id of the yes field is 22, you will need to change that to match yours.
  • So, this is what I was able to come up with:

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_INTERPRETING_REQUESTS] & "?a=API_EditRecord&rid="&[Record ID#]&"&apptoken= daszufyd548iwsdg4qcshck5ve6b&_fid_118=Yes

But I'm getting this error:

Formula syntax error

Expected a valid expression after the "&"

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_INTERPRETING_REQUESTS] & "?a=API_EditRecord&rid="&[Record ID#]& "&apptoken= daszufyd548iwsdg4qcshck5ve6b&_fid_118=Yes
      MCFNeil
      Qrew Captain
      Sorry, A little syntax mistake.  Try this:

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_INTERPRETING_REQUESTS] & "?a=API_EditRecord&rid=URLEncode([Record ID#])&apptoken= daszufyd548iwsdg4qcshck5ve6b&_fid_118=Yes"

needed to get ride of some &" and add a close quote at the end.  I usually like to use the URLEncode Options as it helps keep things clean in the formula 
        AnnaHarris
        Qrew Trainee
        Ran into an issue that says 

<qdbapi>
        <action>API_EditRecord</action>
        <errcode>32</errcode>
        <errtext>No such database</errtext>
        <errdetail>
        The application does not exist or was deleted. If you followed a link to get here, you may want to inform the author of that link that the application no longer exists.
        </errdetail>
        <dbid>-b</dbid>
        </qdbapi>

help? 

------------------------------
        Anna Harris
        ------------------------------
      Jay_DDS_
      Qrew Cadet
      So, my syntax issue is fixed, but now I'm getting this error:

API_EditRecord
      Invalid Application Token
      An Application Token must be supplied.

I did create a new app token and replaced the apptoken above, but I still get this message. Any ideas?
      MCFNeil
      Qrew Captain
      Sometimes I accidentally get a space placed after the = sign and before the actual token,  this can cause some errors.

apptoken= xxxxxx   (bad)
      apptoken=xxxxxx    (good)

Just an idea