Forum Discussion

NickBellows
Qrew Member
3 years ago

Create Field to Show Status of Another Record in Database

I have field that is used as a predecessor field that contains the Record ID of the predecessor record.  I would like to create a field, or a color highlight of the predecessor field to show the status of that predecessor record. 

Record ID 10 has predecessor of Record ID 5.  I would like to display the Status Field of Record ID 5 on Record ID 10.

------------------------------
Nicholas Bellows

3 Replies

• If there is only going to be one predecessor per record, then you can make a formula Mirror field called [Predecessor Mirror] with a formula of 
    ToNumber([Predcessor])

Then make a relationship of the table to itself and use that as the reference field. Then lookup the status of the Predecessor record into the "successor" record.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DonLarson
      Qrew Commander
      Mark,

Wouldn't it be great if Successors could see the status of all Predecessors through the native relationship!

Don Larson
      Paasporter
      Westlake OH
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        Yes, it would be nice if that was all native but I see no indication that QuickBase will ever improve the functionality of their predecessors.

But once you have a set up to do the look up for a single predecessor as I described above, it is a very small leap from that to modify the formula field to extract out the first or second or third predecessor and have say three relationships to pull the status of the first three predecessors into the success of record.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com