Forum Discussion

MatthewReed
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Creating a pop-out window for multi-line text

The industry I that I am in is extremely fast paced.  We have a team of people that are submitting documentation to vendors and submitting follow-ups until the documentation packages are approved.  We have data fields to capture the original submittal date and a multi-line text field for history documentation every time they revisit and follow up weekly.  More often than not, due to the pace, adequate data recording is not occuring, not allowing for accurate, trackable data for for our client.

My want and ask for assistance is this.  I want to create a pull down menu radio button for the # of follow-ups the team is on, subsequently, every time the radio button changes and a new follow-up occurs, a mandatory text entry window opens (forcing them to have to add history notes before saving project and off to the next).  That text window once saved would then populate an existing multi-line text field with their name & date of entry and the notes taken.​

Any guidance or assistance would be very much appreciated if this is indeed a possibility.  Thanks!

------------------------------
M.Reed
Construction PM

1 Reply

• Can you explain more what you mean by this?

"I want to create a pull down menu radio button for the # of follow-ups the team is on"

It sounds like you are chasing up Vendors for information. many times until you come to a conclusion.

It seems to me that the right way to do this is with a child table of followups.  So one project has many followups.  That way when a new followup is needed, you would click the Add Followup record where a new record would open up with required fields.

It seems to me that you are missing the elegance of a child table and trying to do all the updates on the main table.

You also might need to have a setup where 1 Project has many Project Vendors and then one Project Vendor has many Project Vendor  followups.

The relationships would look like this

Projects < Project Vendors > Vendors
    Project Vendor < Project Vendor Followups.

I would then have a summary text field on the Project Vendors table to float up the most recent Project Vendor followup Status, so that when looking at a Project, you would see the embedded table of the Project vendors and see, for example their current followup status and say the date of the last followup request and the last followup response.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com