Forum Discussion

MyoshiaBoykin-A
Qrew Trainee
7 months ago

Creating a Ranking Form Question

Hello All - I have created a survey form that includes a variety of questions.  For one of the questions, I would like the user to be able to rank 7 different options from 1-7  Example:

How would you rank the following 7 areas from most important (1) to least important (7)?:

• Option 1
  • Option 2
  • Option ...
  • Option 7

I am completely lost on how I would achieve this and have it work on an html webform open to Everyone On The Internet.

------------------------------
Myoshia Boykin-Anderson

9 Replies

• Is your plan to allow users to 'repeat' and have lets say 2 items that are 'most' important? My suggestion on how to handle your situation is to just make (7) fields and align them all in a section together on the form so they're grouped, and add some 'text' informing the users of how to fill them out. Each of your fields would correspond to a question and the 'options' in a text-MC would be the same for each as most important to least important. 

Chayce Duncan
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

Building on Chayce's response, my guess is you have seven different features and you want them ranked. One way to do this is to have 7 multiple-choice fields called feature number one rank, feature number two rank feature number three rank, etc. up to seven and each of these will be a multiple-choice field listing all seven possible features.

note that if you make the first field, then it's very easy to copy the field to make the other six.  

But then my guess is you don't want to allow them to repeat any feature twice.  

Of that is the case, you would use it formula which would be a bit repetitive, but not too bad copy paste to make sure that the same feature was not selected twice.  

feel free to post back if you need help making the formula to determine if any of the features were listed twice.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        MyoshiaBoykin-A
        Qrew Trainee

Your guess is exactly right:  I don't want to allow them to repeat any feature twice. The plan is not to allow them to repeat a rank...so there will not be two ranks of 1, etc.

Even with written instructions informing the users, I need a way to prevent them from selecting the same rank for multiple questions.

So yes, I do need help with how to program the formula based on the previous answers.  My guess is it would be something like a nested IF,THEN statement like:

If Q1=rank 1, then Q2-Q7 can only be ranks 2-7

If Q1=rank 2, then Q2-Q7 can only be ranks 1,3-7, etc.

Am I thinking about this correctly???

Myoshia Boykin-Anderson
      MyoshiaBoykin-A
      Qrew Trainee

The plan is not to allow them to repeat a rank...so there will not be two ranks of 1, etc.

My original thought was to do exactly what you have outlined here, because I didn't see any other option than having 7 different questions.  

Even with written instructions informing the users, I need a way to prevent them from selecting the same rank for multiple questions.

Myoshia Boykin-Anderson
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

I might approach it with Mark's suggestion then and flip it to where you have the fields actually represent the rank and then options are the features. So field (1) is 'Most Important' and the options are the features. Field (2) is like 'Important' and its the same 7 features. You could then use formulas/form rules to check if that feature has already been used in the other fields, checking to see if the combination of the other 6 fields already includes the field you're choosing and if so then clear the value and alert the user.

So if you're entering field (2) for example and you check feature X - you could do a formula that combines that input for Fields 1,3,4,5,6,7 and check if the combo of those field already contains the value of field (2) and if so clear it and let them know its already been selected.

Chayce Duncan