Forum Discussion

olivermah
Qrew Assistant Captain
6 years ago

custom email notification: HTML / fit to one page email

I've been working on creating a custom form for one of my email notifications.  I can't seem to understand how the layout gets translated into the email.  I need the email notification to fit on one page if the person receiving the email prints it.  Is there anyway find out if it will all fit on one page?  I keep re-designing it and re-sending it and it to see how it looks.  There must be an easier way.  :)

Also - all my field markers have a gray background to them - is there anyway to get rid of that?

3 Replies

• So as far as I know when a somebody prints an email and it does not fit on a page they need to go into print settings in which ever email application they are using and change the settings to make it fit (shrink to fit).

I don't how much information you are trying to send out or what the layout looks like but a Quickbase form is made up of a HTML table with controls placed in HTML cells (think of table like excel spreadsheet)  which is why sometimes alignment looks off because of a report link or multi-line text box which require a larger cell and therefor expand the rest.  Because of these variables it can make layouts more complicated.  You may test one record that looks fine but another with more information may not conform to the defaults of the original record tested for the notification.  Again I don't know what the layout looks like or the information so this may or may not be the case.

I use a Formula-Rich Text field and write the HTML and information in the formula to send out in my notifications.  This gives you more control over the layout in which the user views the information in the email.  I will say the issue with this is different email applications may look different, I only deal with Outlook and Gmail and there is a difference between the two and have to plan for both. 
    olivermah
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    thanks Troy - looks like i'm just going to have to do the same as you.  appreciate your feedback.
      ScottPrugh
      Qrew Member
      Posting message because I ran into same issue. I'm using email notifications to replace printing to pdf and sending as attachment. Works great, until you run into a client that wants a pdf... so i thought i'll just tell them to pdf the email. I can't even get the email to fit on an 11x17 in landscape. the font size appears to be 500 (exaggerating but very large none-the-less). printing and email appear to be a challenge for the quickbase team. may have to export data to Access and create my 'report' there... good luck.