Forum Discussion

FarahJoyner
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

Deleting select field data using bulk upload or import from CSV

Is there a way to delete data (change a field's content from a value to null) by using  an API call, bulk upload, import from CSV or some other operation?

I am trying to get the data I have in Quick Base to match an excel report. However, there are fields in Quick Base that have a date entered when the field should be empty. I'm not sure how to do this without manually deleting each field's content , which would be time consuming (Import function will over-wright data but not delete data). I can import a place holder date like 1/1/1111 and have that operate as a stand-in meaning "this field should" be empty, but I have formulas that trigger off of the field's null value. (i.e. if field x has a value, trigger operation y). So this is not ideal. I would still need to go in and manually delete fields containing the value "1/1/111". Again, doing this is time consuming. 

Does any one have any suggestions?

1 Reply

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Try putting the word "null" in your import file. 
    So whenever the field is blank it is "null".

I haven't done it, but I believe QB will then clear that fields values.

for the excel file you might have to do a conditional column that either takes the true value, but if blank inserts "null".

(I have a hunch it might not work, but its worth a shot)