Forum Discussion

ChrisSwirtz
Qrew Cadet
3 years ago

Dynamic Form Rule Not Firing

I have the following form rule set up but only the first 2 actions are firing, the 3rd only fires after I save and then re-open the record. 

The only time the 3rd action works right away is if I have the "Material Description - Formula" field still on the form, but I was trying to hide that. Do I just need to keep that field on the form somewhere?

------------------------------
Chris Swirtz

2 Replies

• In my experience dynamic form rules was only work reliably if all the fields on which the dynamic form rule depends are on the form.

So what I routinely do is I create a section called
    Required for Form rules and Conditional Drop downs

and I put those extra fields into that section. Then I find some scalar field so as to not waste one of my precious 40 derived fields, and say something like where invoice date is not equal to 999999999
    action hide section required for Forum Rules.  

So the fields need to be on the form but they don't necessarily need to be exposed to users.  I think the reason for this is that the form tries to do the least work possible it doesn't re-calculate the whole database, just the fields that are on the form get recalculated dynamically.

It would be nice if the system automatically looked for fields that are involved in form rules and calculated them dynamically to but it works how it works and in any event Quickbase is working on a new form now so they are never going to change the way it behaves.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ChrisSwirtz
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks Mark, that should work just fine.

Chris Swirtz