Forum Discussion

JamesTrory
Qrew Assistant Captain
5 years ago

Dynamic form rules getting triggered by Import

I have a dynamic form rule that says "When the record is saved, and [Location] has been changed to "In Repair", change [Repair Check-in] to current date". This works as expected. If the [Location] field is changed to "In Repair" (and ONLY in this case), the current date is added to [Repair Check-in]. I have tested it and it works fine.

However, I have come to find that using the Import function to add new records triggers this form rule regardless of what the value in [Location] is for the new imports. Even if new records are imported with [Location] being something other than "In Repair", the form rule triggers and adds the current date to [Repair Check-in]. It shouldn't be doing this. The rule should only trigger when [Location] is edited and changed specifically to "In Repair".

Why is this happening? I can't figure it out.

5 Replies

• Check that you do not have a Webhook, a QB Action or an Automation doing this.  Your form rules only work when records are modified in the Form itself; not via an import.  There must be another workflow process doing this.
      JamesTrory
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      That's what I had thought, that imports should not trigger form rules.

I have no Webhooks or Actions. I do have two Automations. One of them is set up to change a field called [Location Check-in] whenever the field [Location] is changed. This would include if [Location] was changed from "In Repair" to something else, which is also technically what the form rule is doing too in a very specific scenario. So there could be an overlap between the automation and form rule.

However, the automation is only set up to fire if a record is modified, not when it's added. I just did a new import of data and neither of the automations fired, but the imports did get the [Repair Check-in] field modified. It's so weird.
      LauraThacker
      Qrew Captain
      Disable your automation; and see if the import does the same thing.  You may need to submit a support ticket if you are seeing data changes with no automations firing on new record imports.
      JamesTrory
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      I was thinking the same. I disabled the two automations but the problem persists. I'll open a ticket with Quickbase. Thanks for your help.