Forum Discussion

GeoffreyDavis
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

Edit all records in a table with an array

How would I use an API and or code page to edit every record in a table with the contents of an array?

I want to essentially split up the records evenly and assign them to 8 different names.

6 Replies

• I assume you are doing something like (1) assigning a set of workers to a list of tasks or (2) assigning as set of salespeople to a list of leads.

Assume by some means you have a array of rids and an array of workers:
    var rids = [1,2,3,10,11,12,101,102,103];
    var workers = ["Larry", "Curly", "Moe"];
    This code will produce a blob of csv you can import which will evenly assign workers to the list of records:
    var csv = _.chain(rids)
      .shuffle()
      .map(function(rid, index) {
        return '${rid}, ${workers[Math.floor(index % n)]}';
      })
      .value()
      .join('\n');
    console.log(csv);
    11, Larry
    1, Curly
    12, Moe
    102, Larry
    10, Curly
    2, Moe
    3, Larry
    103, Curly
    101, Moe
  • Ah thank you. Is there any way to chop this down to a URL formula that will EditRecord and just assign each record sequentially from an array?
  • Geofrey,
    If the goal is to assign randomly have you considered a formula field based off the Record ID#
      GeoffreyDavis
      Qrew Trainee
      Hmm, I have not. Would you be able to use this to equally distribute the records?
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Yes, because the record ID#s are random.  Well i mean that they are sequential so you can use them to allow records to "agents" in a round robin fashion.

For example if you run a report sorted by [Record ID#] and then have a column with a formula like

REM([Record ID#],8) +1, then you should see that column counting up from 1 to 8 and then start over at 1.

https://login.quickbase.com/db/6ewwzuuj?a=dr&r=bu&rl=bh9h