Forum Discussion

PaulPaul1
Qrew Trainee
11 years ago

File Attachment field as Lookup Field

Does anyone have any suggestions for simple ways to either display or link to a File Attachment on a parent record within the child record?

We have a parent table of procedures, which has a file attachment field of documentation. We have a child table of issues, where the resolution could be to select one of our common procedures to follow from a drop down list of all procedure records.

I would like to do this so the file attachment can be accessed directly from the child record without increasing the number of clicks from linking to procedures then into the file attachment or making a many to many relationship between the table and having to have extra steps to set up the links in the first place.

17 Replies

• I am trying to do this exact thing.  The problem I seem to be having is that for some reason my actual record ID # and the file attachment URL ID don't match.  Where you have e7 matching record 7, I have "rb" matching to record 1.  And "rc" matching record 2.  For some reason the record ID does not match my file attachment URL, so if I insert [Record ID #] I get an error.  If I remove this and insert the "rb" or the "rc" etc., then it works.  But this doesn't work overall because I need to associate each record with each file attachment.  How can I do this?  Is there a formula to use [Record ID] to change to the appropriate letter?  

• Let�s start at the beginning. Make the formula field that Xavier suggested. Make sure it works on the same table where the file attachment is. Then use that field as a lookout.

If you can�t get your formula to work I need help with that then please post your formula.
  • this is what I have entered into my formula for the url-formula field:

If ([Attached Form] = "", "",
    "<a href='" & URLRoot() & "up/" & Dbid() & "/a/r" & [Record ID#] & "/e8/v0' target='_blank' >" & [Attached Form] & "</a>")

[Attached Form] is the document link in the record.  and the Field ID for that is 8.  When I click the link I get the following error:

This site can�t be reached

%3Ca%20href%3D%27https�s server IP address could not be found.

It seems like a simple syntax error I am missing?  

PaulPaul1
      Qrew Trainee
      I've just checked your syntax against mine which is working, and the only difference is that I'm using /e9/v0 rather than /e8/v0.
  • FYI: I don't see an "HTML tags enabled" box when i create the Text-Formula or the URL-Formula 
  • The field type for your field needs to be formula rich text. Your formula field is likely formula URL