Forum Discussion

BrittanyScheid
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Filter Report Based on User Role

Hi there,
I'm still relatively new to Quick Base, but I was wondering if there is a way to filter a report based on the user role.  We have two different levels of staff - Reviewers and Team Leads, and I've created roles for each.  There's also a field for each in our reviews table.  Each review has both assigned to it.  However, Team Leads can also be assigned as a Reviewer, with someone else as the Team Lead.  I want to create a report that excludes anyone from the Team Lead level.  I know you can use filters such as where Reviewer <> the user listed in Team Lead, but as I mentioned above, a Team Lead could be assigned as the Reviewer with someone else as the Team Lead, so that wouldn't work.  Is there any way to filter based on their role?  Thanks!!

------------------------------
Brittany Zane

6 Replies

• Brittany,
    Even for an experienced user, that is a very interesting question, so no apologies for being new to Quick Base. 

There is a recent enhancement we got in the form of a new function which allows, for the first time, for a formula to "see" the User's Role.  Previously only form Rules could do that.

The function's Help is here.  It's a bit confusing to understand the Help but the examples help.

https://login.quickbase.com/db/6ewwzuuj?a=dr&r=gj&rl=dme

If you use the function UserRoles("ID") and the user was in Roles # 10 and #11 (you get the number by clicking on the role name and observing the URL),  then the function would return  10 ; 11

ie the Role numbers separated by space ; space

You can also get the names to return with
    UserRoles("Name") which would return
    Participant ; Administrator 

or UserRoles("") will return
    11/Participant ; 12/Administrator

The advantage of hooking onto the number of the Role is that if you change the name of the Role it will not break your formula.

The disadvantage of a number is that it's a bit of a pain to parse out.

But in practical terms the roles will start to number at 10 (so at least two digits) and heck, if you create an app with more than 99 Roles, you deserve what you get.  So let's assume you have a two digit Role.

So, with that long preamble here is your answer for say a formula checkbox field called perhaps
    [Is a Team Lead?], where the Role ID# of a Team Lead was 12.

IF(Contains(UserRoles("ID"),"12"),true)

Then just run your report filter where that field is unchecked.

​​​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      BrittanyScheid
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks!  One question, is there a function/way to check the role assigned to a specific user?  Like could I run a function on the Reviewer field (which is a user field) to find out what role they are assigned to?  Thanks!

Brittany Zane
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Hmmmmm, no I do not think there is a way. The only way, is to have a table of users to use in relationships to lull down the user.  Then you can add any other fields to that table to be looked up down to the detail records.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • Chiming into an old thread for future people searching for similar solutions. Building on Mark's posts, I have a table with a couple dozen user guides. Some user guides are for general audiences, some restricted to admins etc.

Created a multi-text selection field where the options were <Role ID # > - <Role Name> eg 10 - Viewer. Then a checkbox formula field using this formula:

If(Contains(ToText([Role ID]),ToText(UserRoles("ID"))),true)

It works to set the report filters to where the checkbox formula is checked, but I prefer to set it at the table permission level with a custom rule on what users can view.

Don't know that I would go to this kind of trouble for a big table - but for small ones, really works nicely as a quick row-level security by user role workaround.

Malcolm McDonald