Forum Discussion

ArkadyGranik
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

Form filling without internet connection

Dear All,

We have a site survey form, one page of which needs to be completed whilst walking around buildings where internet connection is not always good enough. Other pages can be created and filled in QB later. The "on-site" page is a table with about 10 headers. I am mulling over a few ideas:
1. Use paper for the page that should be completed on site and just append it as a PDF to the rest of the form that will be in QB
2. Use google sheets and QB sync. In this case I need to work out how to deal with forms completed in google sheets after they are synced with QB - each "on-site" page needs to belong to a separate survey. Also, will I need to convert each google sheet into a CSV document manually?
3. Try QB grid edit - it seems that is needs internet connection only when it is saved.

I would be grateful for any pointers, thanks in advance.

Arkady

4 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    I have never used this service, but found it in a google search:
    https://www.surveycto.com/product/index.html

Another options is to have a fillable PDF that can be attached or synced into the app.

Or you can get really fancy and use the google form code and make a mock sheet that then syncs with the internet once connected.
    https://developers.google.com/apps-script/reference/forms/

Again, not ideal, but short of creating a separate app that needs to be downloaded to the device, thats about all I can think of.
  • This is one of the primary use cases for Service Workers using a feature called background sync.

In a nutshell you create a simple custom form in a code page, place all the needed files in a cache so they are available offline and then you define in your Service Worker a background sync event listener that will arrange to automatically submit the form when network connectivity is regained. You can background sync any number of requests (not just one) and they will all magically appear in QuickBase when you regain network access.
  • Do you know anyone that can create that form and connectivity for my app?