Forum Discussion

RhondaJones
Qrew Cadet
3 years ago

Formula assistance

Hello, is there a way to create a formula field that takes just the first three numbers from a different field? So it one field says 9548762, the formula field would automatically generate 954 in its field?

Thank you so much.

------------------------------
Rhonda Jones

6 Replies

• Can you tell us what field type 9548762 is and what field type you want the result?  Is this text or numeric?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      RhondaJones
      Qrew Cadet
      So the first field is Address: Postal Code (so a subfield in the Address field) and the second I'm completely unparticular about. It may be helpful for me to explain why I need it. I have a table of inspection firms and in my industry, they list the areas they cover by listing the first three digits of a zip code. It would be helpful for me to be able to create a report link to my main table listing the available repair firms based on the zip code entered. In the second table (the inspection firms) the zip codes are listed like this 122, 123, 124 all in one field labeled zip codes covered. There are several hundred so changing this is really out of the question.

I tried to do this just using the Postal Code to Zip codes covered and unchecking the must match exactly but it isn't working. I get zero results. I hope I'm explaining this well... 

Rhonda Jones
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        What field type is the one in Inspection Firms, ie if the result is 123 do you want that to be a text 123 or a numeric 123.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com