Forum Discussion

DavidSemitekol
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago
Solved

Formula button to view record from another table

I have a related table.  I want to modify the "add record" to only view the child record.  Basically I want to recreate the "View Record" eyeball icon that is found in the report table.  (I don't want my users to have to find this tiny little eyeball.  I need a big glowing button for them to click on.)

I was able to write the formula that references the correct table, but I can't pull the correct Record ID because it is pulling the Record ID of the parent table.  I need the Record ID of the child table.  Is there a way to reference the Record ID from the related child table or just reference a Record ID from a different table?

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_TEST] & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID#]

------------------------------
David Semitekol
  • I gather you want this button to live on the Parent Table.  But One Parent can have many children so it's not  clear which Child record you want to view. Perhaps your design is such that there is only one child record.  If that is the case, then go to the relationship and add a summary field to get the Summary Minimum of the [Record ID#] field.  Perhaps name the field [Record ID# of 1st Child]

Then you would adjust your formula like this

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_TEST] & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID# of 1st Child]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

2 Replies

• I gather you want this button to live on the Parent Table.  But One Parent can have many children so it's not  clear which Child record you want to view. Perhaps your design is such that there is only one child record.  If that is the case, then go to the relationship and add a summary field to get the Summary Minimum of the [Record ID#] field.  Perhaps name the field [Record ID# of 1st Child]

Then you would adjust your formula like this

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_TEST] & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID# of 1st Child]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DavidSemitekol
      Qrew Trainee
      Yes, I want the button to live on the parent table but on the record view form so in theory there is only 1 child record per parent record.

Your suggestion worked brilliantly, I added the Summary Minimum of the [Record ID#] and was able to complete the formula.

It would be nice if I could reference a field from another table by first calling the table name inside a formula once the relationship is established.

David Semitekol