Forum Discussion

MikeKlausing
Qrew Assistant Captain
5 years ago

Formula User

I have a quotes table and a dealers table. The Dealers table has all of their contact information for each specific dealer. 

I also have a formula User field that is just identifying which user is logged in and displaying their name.

How can I get the dealer name, address, website information from my dealers table over to my quotes table without the user clicking on anything. Right now my Formula User field does that by identifying which user is logged into but I havent been able to get any information from the dealers table specifically over. 
I guess im missing a way to reference which dealer record to link to on the quotes form? I want it to be a formula field if possible that way the form automatically pulls the dealer info rather than them click on anything. 

------------------------------
Mike Klausing

2 Replies

BabiPanjikar
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Mike, 

If I understand rightly, this is how your structure is :
    Dealer - Parent Table
    Quotes - Treat this has child .   One dealer having multiple quotes. You users are basically the dealers who will be using generating quotes.

1) On the dealer table, make sure Dealer User ID  (User type) field is unique and primary instead of default Record ID#.
    2) On the quotes table, create a formula user field e.g. [Current Login User] = User(). This always populates the current user who logged-in
    3) Create a relationship between Dealer  (Deal user ID) and quotes (Current Login User)
    4) create lookup fields from dealer to quotes.
    5) Place the current Login User on the form , followed by lookup field.  Make sure that "Current Login User" field is placed on the form.

This should get you dealer information for logged user.

Babi Panjikar
  • Hey Mike, I am assuming your tables are related. You can add dealer name, address, website information from my dealers table as lookup fields in the relationship between the two tables. then pull those lookup fields into the form. If you make them read only the the user won't be able to change them. I think that is what you are going for.

I'm sure there is a way to do it in a formula field but the relationship lookup fields are pretty easy to set up.

Ann Builder