Forum Discussion

AlexBennett3
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Help with complex situation...

Hello Everyone!

I'll get right to it!
I have multiple tables in an app I've inherited. I have Bid Requests, Jobs and I just created Schedules. I'm attempting to make a table in Schedules, that can pull the job, and bid price info from the other tables. On this table I'm attempting to combine multiple currency amounts from multiple field ID's. So per job, there will be 7 different departments, that will have 4 different classes, under 4 different phases. So 112 different fields... I'm trying to figure out how to add a formula to be able to add/multiply/divide different totals across all these fields. I'm I correct in assuming that these input fields will all have to have unique ID's to be able to do the formula logic on? So far this might end up being more of a complex calculator for quick data entry and overall job cost estimation and budgeting per job. How can I go about building this correctly to automatically combine different totals for budget estimation purposes? Where can I get into a section to write some code for all this?? lol

I can build out the form, and create different fid's just fine(112 will take awhile but I can do it. lol), I'm struggling on next steps to be able to combine these totals. The Idea is when someone in the company I work for is submitting a bid for a job, all the totals across all 7 departments and added automatically, as well as estimating job duration based on an average of employee wage, divided by overall labor costs (4 phases of labor), then I can create a Calendar report to accurately show jobs duration, as well as maybe including what employees are assigned to that job... 

I apologize for the confusion on my description, I'm struggling on how to build this, let alone how to explain it for help. lol

I hope someone finds this interesting! And appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Alex

------------------------------
Alex Bennett

2 Replies

• It sounds like you may want to increase the complexity of your application structure so that you would end up with fewer fields to have to consider in any calculations.  As a start, I would encourage you to build tables for your Departments, Classes, and Phases, creating records in each of them for the associated data. These would end up driving drop-downs in the other tables I'd recommend - Job Departments, Job Classes, and Job Phases. These would be setup in a relationship structure similar to what I've outlined below:

If your Job Cost is based on calculating the total cost for everything at the lowest level, you can just have the Cost field on the Job Phase table and do a summary field all the way up to the Job to get your total. If you're calculating that Job Cost based on other factors such as Wage and Time, you could put those fields on the Job Phase table and the Job Cost could become a simple formula of [Wage]*[Time]

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      AlexBennett3
      Qrew Trainee
      I'll look into the suggestions! 

Thanks for your help Blake!