Forum Discussion

StephanieLane
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

highlight most recent entry in group on report

I am trying to see if it is possible to highlight or conditionally format the most recent entry on a report _in each group_ - so if the report is grouped by Manager ID, and shows several updates per manager (see below), I want the latest entry to be a different color or highlighted

ID       Date      Update                       notes
_1234  7/10/19  update here                notes and such
1234  7/1/19    another update here   more notes
1234  6/15/19  another one                blah blah
_5678_
5678  7/9/19    update and what not   some notes
5678  7/5/19    here is an update        note note note
5678  5/15/19  again with an update   notes and notes and notes

So the first lines for each ID would be highlighted (the one on 7/10/19 for 1234 and the one on 7/9/19 for 5678)

Please help!!  And thanks in advance :)

9 Replies

• This answer assumes:

1.  Your ID (group value) is a related-reference field table parent record value
    2.  That your report will always include the latest note/entry

In your Parent < Child relationship, build a summary-field to bring back the Maximum [Record ID#] from the child table.  Call this field [Max Notes Rec ID#]

In your Parent < Child relationship add the new [Max Notes Rec ID#] as a Lookup field back into the child-table

In your child-table, build a formula-checkbox field [Latest Note].  Formula:

[Record ID#] = [Max Notes Rec ID#]

In your report, you can then use Row colorization on the rows where the [Latest Note] checkbox is TRUE.
      RyanStanford1
      Qrew Captain
      To piggy back on QBPros_IDS response, this was exactly what I was thinking, but they beat me to it.
      LauraThacker
      Qrew Captain
      The principle is the same.  You still want the maximum Record ID# for the child record; and to look that up into the child table so you can evaluate if the [Record ID#] = [Max Record ID#] to determine it is still the latest-child record for the parent record.
      StephanieLane
      Qrew Cadet
      Well I tried that, and it was checking the box on dates that are earlier than the latest update...