Forum Discussion

SehunJoo
Qrew Member
3 years ago

How can I make a field editable every time a record is opened, even in view mode?

As the title says, I would like to make a text box (preferably multi line) that is editable in view mode. I can't seem to find any properties that specifically allow for this.

I know it is possible because this person did it, but I'm not sure how to recreate it
https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bmkz323rr?a=dr&rid=1

Thanks!

------------------------------
Sehun Joo

7 Replies

• This is Dan Diebolt's work, so most likely you've got a good amount of JavaScript manipulation in the background combined with something like his Image OnLoad (IOL) technique.  An Inspection of the page reveals api.js and pendo.js calls.  Unfortunately, Dan has been absent from the message boards for quite some time (he's sorely missed).  And, QuickBase is explicitly excluding the ability for builders to inject JS into forms now; i.e., it will be very difficult or even impossible to recreate this.  Others may have a different take. If you can articulate your use-case then someone might be able to suggest a solution.

Chris Wheatley
    AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    There is not going to be a native way to do this and all non-native ways are not supported. If they allowed you to edit things in View mode I would submit that as a bug.

What you linked is from someone that was very heavily into JavaScript. That is 100% a JavaScript solution that may or may not currently work after the changes that happened. If you have arrived on that page then you should have gotten there from their main app. In their main app they have a list of everything like this they have ever posted and I'm sure it is detailed in there. Again, it may not work at this time though.

Here you go: https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=dr&r=ts&rl=kfn

https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=td-------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 07-23-2021 12:35
    Subject: How can I make a field editable every time a record is opened, even in view mode?

As the title says, I would like to make a text box (preferably multi line) that is editable in view mode. I can't seem to find any properties that specifically allow for this.

I know it is possible because this person did it, but I'm not sure how to recreate it
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bmkz323rr?a=dr&rid=1

Thanks!

Sehun Joo
      SehunJoo
      Qrew Member
      Thank you for the input everyone, I had suspected some kind of javascript trickery was happening, but I wasn't sure if it was recreatable using the formula field or not.

My use case is that I would like for users to be able to submit a Approval Entry in Quickbase, but then not able to change their entries after submission outside of a few boxes that I want to host comments in. Would it better to simply lock write permissions after submission?

Sehun Joo
        AustinK
        Qrew Commander
        If you want to lock it after submission on the form you could set a rule that prevents the fields from being edited once there is a valid date created, set the rule to be when Date Created is not equal to blank that it marks the fields read only. The date created is not there until the record is saved.

This would however prevent them from editing it at all after saving, even if they forgot to include the right information.

One thing to keep in mind is if the users have the ability to grid edit or import they will be able to get around any form rules you put into place. Form rules are only active on forms.