Forum Discussion

MannyHernandez
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

How Do I Create A Formula to Distribute Leads to people automatically - with conditions or evenly

I want to distribute lead records or assign them to certain users. Ideally this would be evenly when the users are considered "active" status. Sometimes I would like to only distribute the leads the have a criteria and match those with the user that is looking for that criteria. For example, user 1 only wants leads classified as NEW MOVER and/or in a certain zip code.

3 Replies

• Hi Manny,

Creating a round robin in Quick Base to automatically distribute leads with conditions or evenly can be a more complicated process depending on how specific you would like to get. If you search our Exchange I believe there is one or two template applications with a round robin built in that you could observe alternatively for a basic round robin there is a setup like this:

There is a way to do this using Application Variables and a Formula User field. The first thing you need to do is define the number of users that will be participating in the 'round-robin' by creating an Application Variable. For this example let s call the variable [number_of_reps] To learn more, please see our About Application Variables help topic. Then you need to create a Formula User field in the table that contains the records to be assigned. For this example, label the field 'Auto-Assignee.' To learn more, please see our Add a New Field and Using Formulas in QuickBase help topics. After the Formula User field is created, you will need to edit the properties of that field. Locate the 'Auto-Assignee' field you created from the field list and click its name to edit the properties of the field. The properties will have a Formula Options section. Your formula will look like this: If( Mod([Record ID#],ToNumber([number_of_reps])) = 0, ToUser("user_screen_name_or_email"), Mod([Record ID#],ToNumber([number_of_reps])) = 1, ToUser("user_screen_name_or_email "), Mod([Record ID#],ToNumber([number_of_reps])) = 2, ToUser("user_screen_name_or_email ")) You'll need to personalize the formula with information from your application:

* [number_of_reps] is the Application Variable you created in the first part of this process.
    * You will need a line in the formula for each rep if you want to equally distribute the assignments.
    * The numbers after the '=' will always start at Zero (0) and ascend to one integer less than the total number of reps in the Application Variable.
    * As the number of users participating in the auto-assignment procedure increases or decreases you will need to adjust the variable number and add or remove lines from your formula field, making sure that the formula remains viable. * 'user_screen_name_or_email' is the text equivalent of the screen names or email addresses of the users you want to be assignees.
    * [Record ID#] refers to the system field in every table that assigns a number to each new record in the table. If you have renamed this field, or if it is [Project ID#] or [Task ID#] then use the appropriate field name.
    * You can weight the assignments by giving a user more than one line in the formula.

Sophisticated round robins can be very tricky and in that instance we most often suggest looking for a Partner or developer that can help built out a round robin that is responsive to more criteria and consistent as you get into things like users who are out for vacations or leave of absences, different types of leads going to different pools of employees, etc. I hope this information is at least helpful Manny and it is possible some other Community members might have other suggestions or resources. 
  • Thanks for the reply Evan. I have used this set up provided by you before. It is simple and very easy to implement. However, I am looking for a little bit more complicated base on different variables. How would I go about finding the right partner for this?
  • Hi Manny,

I'm glad that you were able to implement that suggestion for a more basic round robin. As for finding a Partner we do have a Partner page here. That is a listing of our Partners that you can search or filter to help you look over the Partner options. We also have some of our Partners here in the Community and they might chime in as well to introduce themselves directly.