Forum Discussion

5 Replies

• QuickBase doesn't support directly importing data from VCards, but you're not out of luck.

If you're trying to get contacts from Outlook or another email program and into QuickBase, you can first export your contacts from your mail program as a CSV file, and then import that CSV file into QuickBase:
    If all you have is a .VCF or .VCard file, you're not out of luck. One way would be to import the CSV into your address book, and then export as a CSV and import that CSV to QuickBase. A quick Google Search for "VCF to CSV" also turns up some results. I haven't used them myself, and I have no idea if it works, but this may get you a CSV that you can import to QuickBase:
    You will probably want to change "Format" to "CSV", change "tab" separator to "comma", and check the box that says "Add Header Line".
  • A vCard record is merely a text file. If you do not have an   automated facility with which to process vCard records, you can open them with a text   editor and then use the information. The contents of a vCard file varies with the   information inserted by the file creator.

If you receive the vCard in the form of a file on a disk, you can import it into your default Contact folder by using the Outlook   "Import and Export Wizard." To do this, follow these steps:   
    • On the File menu, click Import And Export.
    • Click to select the Import a vCard file (*.vcf) check box, and then click Next.
    • Click to select the vCard file, and then click Open.
    • The vCard data is used to create a Contact record in your default Contacts folder.
    http://www.osttopstapp.com/vcard-export-import.html
  • Using script you can augment a form to read and parse a selected text file before sending the parsed results to QuickBase. So as applied to reading a vCard file you can parse out some or all of the fields you need to store in your table using using an AJAX call. Here is a ten minute task of me using a JavaScript library to parse a vcard file and log it parsed as JSON:

Likewise if you need to generate a vCard file from data in your application you can use script to generate a vCard representation as a downloadable file or as a URL.

This demo did not slot the parsed data into an actual table because that is almost trivial to do using the QuickBase API method API_AddRecord.

If you need help using this approach feel free to contact me off-world using the information in my profile:

https://getsatisfaction.com/people/dandiebolt
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      If I didn't explicitly state it, you can parse ANY text file before sending results to QuickBase and conversely you can generate ANY text file from data stored in QuickBase (you can generate the file "on-the-fly" so to speak).
  • If you are import your vcf contacts from outlook then you can use Import VCF to Outlook convert software to import your vcf contacts from outlook. More Info :- Import VCF to Outlook

Rather then you can import your vcf contacts from csv then you can use CSV to vCard Converter software to import your vcf contacts from csv. More Info:- CSV to vCard Converter