Forum Discussion

KristyYorker
Qrew Trainee
9 years ago

how to add URL button on form that opens an external website (ie www.google.com) into a new window? I am brand new to Quickbase and also cannot write code

I would like the button to be clickable in view or edit mode

8 Replies

• No problem,

QuickBase is a "low code" platform so you don't need to be much of a coder.

If you want to hard code which website it goes to make a new field of type Formula-URL

The formula for google would be

"www.google.com" and the Link text would probably just be Google.

If you want it to open in a new window then check the box in field properties to Open in new Window.

If you wanted  a data entry field to type in different websites in different records, then it would just be a URL field type instead of a Formula-URL field type
  • >QuickBase is a "low code" platform

Yeah I'm hopping on the "low code" cluetrain myself. Instead of this:

$.get(url, {
      act: "API_DoQuery",
      qid: "1"
    }).then(function(xml) {
      // your code here
    });

I am going save a lot of keystrokes not typing the "function" keyword by using the "fat arrow" syntax:

$.get(url, {
      act: "API_DoQuery",
      qid: "1"
    }).then(xml => {
      // your code here
    });
  • Hi Mark and dandiebolt_QB_Pirate ... I have tried both of your suggestions and I am still getting a syntax error.  Side note, the link I am trying to open is my teams SharePoint site, if that makes any difference.
  • Please post your formula.  Dan was not really answering your question, so please post your acrual formula and we will have it working in a jiffy.
  • >Dan was not really answering your question

Yeah I was lobbying against the "low code" mentality in favor of using script with increasing levels of abstraction which makes your code smaller.
  • I'm not sure what u are looking for here : "so please post your acrual formula"
  • Well aside from my poor typing skills, you are saying that you entered a formula for a website such as "www.google.com" and there is a syntax error.  I'm asking to see what you have in the formula box so I can help debug the formula.

ie please post your formula that is not working so i can see it.
      banehbaneh
      Qrew Member
      very well.. I was lobbying against the (low code) mentality in favor of using script with increasing levels of abstraction which makes your code smaller. thank you. https://www.baneh.com