Forum Discussion

CamCam
Qrew Member
7 years ago

How to allow a user to view most fields in a table but to restrict certain fields unless they are the record's 'resource'

Hi there,

I have a resource table for all of our project staff. It includes non-private fields (like phone number and title) as well as private fields (like accrued vacation balance). 

I would like all users to see reports that use non-private fields (so we can use it as a phone list), but I don't want users to see the private fields unless they are the user that the resource applies to (or are in a management role).

I can see how to restrict access to records by role (and by custom things like 'user is listed in field X) but this doesn't allow me to restrict by fields, just the records.

I can also see how to restrict fields based on roles, but that interface does not allow me to set up conditions like 'user is listed in field X'.

What do you think would work for this?

Thanks - Cam

5 Replies

• I think that you can't do that level of granular control.  My suggestion is to have a Sync table of employees and put the non-private information there and then control access to the records in the main employees table, but allow open access to the Sync table..
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Another alternative is to hide that stuff from any reports they all use.  And then show that private information in a section on the form.

The hidden section will only show it when the user is the user in the field x.  

Its not iron clad, but much simpler than sync tables.
  • I agree with Matthew. If you are a bit concerned with security, you can set the Role UI permissions to now allow reports to be modified to prevent users from changing reports, so they can�t just edit a report to see the private fields.
  • I think this would work, but it looks like the Role UI setting applies to all tables, and not specific ones. I would like people to be able to make their own reports for most tables, just not this private resource table.