Forum Discussion

John
Qrew Member
2 years ago

How to chart data from several multi-select Test fields

Hello,

I am having trouble getting data from multi-select text fields to chart. I have multiple fields on a form to collect data for audits, these fields designate findings from the audits.

The entries from the multi-select fields will sometimes chart, but do not separate into the different entries. For example, choosing both A and B creates an entry "A;B" and charts as "A;B" not "A" and "B".

Is there a way to separate these entries and have them chart?

Thanks

------------------------------
John Meredith

5 Replies

• How many different choices are there for the multi select field and what type of chart is this?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      John
      Qrew Member

The number of Choices varies from 2 choices to 10 choices. These also may be updated in the future and more choices added.

Originally was trying to get a pie chart but a bar chart would also work.

John Meredith
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

So, there is no way to do that kind of chart off the record itself. The only way to do this would be to go to the effort of making a trial table, which contains the individual choices, and then have a Pipeline maintain those child records.

of making a trial table, which contains the individual choices, and then have a Pipeline maintain those child records.

In general the pipeline with trigger when the main record, is that a bit and your multi select field changes. The way I would do, it would be to first delete all the child records so you know you are starting with a clean slate every time, and then I would copy all of the possible choices from a choices table to be children of the record, and then delete the ones which don't deserve to be there. The child records would have a lock off of the multi select field from the parent record and therefore it's possible to make a formula which would determine whether or not the record should be immediately deleted. 

It might also  possible to have the pipeline check each child record before being added to make sure it deserves to be there.  That would be more efficient because it wouldn't be creating and then deleting unneeded  records.

if you want to tackle that pipeline, and need some help,  feel free to post back.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com