Forum Discussion

AmberPollard
Qrew Assistant Captain
8 years ago

How to Link to Related Records in Same Table

I have a Projects table and want users to be able to list related projects, which would be siblings records in the same table.

I related the Projects table to itself, but cannot seem to get the [Related Project ID] field to display on the form (which I hoped would display as a record picker). When I'm editing the form, the [Related Project ID] field appears in the fields list, but is greyed out and can't be selected.

I am looking for the easiest way that a user can say projects A and B are related -- such that looking at Project A will show a link to Project B and visa versa...without having to edit both records, if that's possible.

It's fine if the user doesn't get a record picker field to choose from and instead just types the Record ID field from one record into another.

Is this possible and--if so--how?

5 Replies

DavidJung
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    You could just use a Report Link field, then let the field filter the report based on a field that all projects have in common (customer name perhaps). Or a formula (customer name&location). It's not a relationship, but I've found this is all I need.
  • Amber, you should definately be able to select the related project.  I suggest that there may be confusion over the Proxy field.  Maybe check the relationship and get rid of the proxy field if that is confusing you and then the field [Related Project} will be available.  Once you have that working, we can then get it working with a Proxy field if that is what you want.
  • I am trying to do the same thing... but both records have to be edited to establish a mutual connection. Has anyone figured out a way to make both records relate to one another simultaneously?
  • I suggest that you post a new question and describe your table and their relationships that you have and / or that you want.