Forum Discussion

SalesInfo
Qrew Assistant Captain
6 years ago

How to make a lookup field editable on the embedded grid report?

I added a report link field to display a grid report so I can easily add multiple records for another table. The problem is there is a field (see below) on the report, which is a look up from another t
table. This field/report is on Promo (child table), is got from HD (parent table) <-- MASTER table (grandparent table). Basically, you can edit this field under MASTER table. 

How do I make this field editable on this grid report?

Thank you1

3 Replies

• You cannot edit a lookup field type. The closest you could come to that would be to have an override field and then a final firmula field to use the override field if not null /blank or else the lookup field.
      SalesInfo
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      The problem is that if I create an override field, there will be no relationship between the Promo (child table) and HD (parent table) when I add a grid record on the form on Promo table. 

Is there a way that I can link them?

Thank you!
      AlexCertificati
      Qrew Cadet
      Promo table fields
      [HD Item - Master Item - HD - Model Number] type: lookup (no change)
      [HD Item - Master Item - HD - Model Number ENTRY] type: user input
      [HD Item - Master Item - HD - Model Number FINAL] type: formula

lookup field is as it is today - including relationship to parent table
      user input field allows your user to enter data on your grid edit report
      formula field is the one used in reports/other calculations/etc

Write the formula on the formula field such that, if there's a value in the ENTRY field, use that, else use the value in the lookup field (which is still drawn from the parent record), thus preserving the relationship.