Forum Discussion

AnnettaColeman
Qrew Cadet
2 years ago

How to Trigger a Pipeline off a Formula Field

I would very much like to kick off a pipeline from a couple of formula fields.... 

Use case:  
- Business Requester creates an new Request in Work Item parent table
- Pipeline creates review records for each new request for each Product Team in child table.
- Pipeline creates notifications to Product Team member(s) to review the new Request
- When all Product Teams have completed their review, summary fields are updated in the parent table.   
- A formula checkbox in the parent table confirms that all product teams have completed their review.  Another formula checkbox field confirms if the work item is above the threshold that requires leadership to review and approve at their next scheduled meeting.
- We want the next step to be a Pipeline based on the two formula checkboxes to create an agenda item in the Leader Review child table for each work item that needs their approval.   This will enable leaders to pre-review / pre-vote at a time convenient for them and be prepared to discuss at the next scheduled leadership meeting.   THIS PIPELINE IS NOT TRIGGERING off THE FORMULA FIELDS.   Our work around is for the admin to run a grid edit report that simply reports the results of the two formula fields so that the admin can MANUALLY update a checkbox for each record that needs to have an agenda item created.  This manual checkbox DOES trigger a different Pipeline to create the agenda records.  

We seek a way to kick off the pipeline to create the Leader Review Agenda records from the formula field instead of requiring a human administrator to check the box via a grid edit report.    How do we do this with native QuickBase?     There must be a way to accomplish this without procuring 3rd party software and more complicated coding.   

------------------------------
Annetta Coleman

6 Replies

• I see two choices. 

1. trigger off "When all Product Teams have completed their review" ... I assume that the Teams update a record when they complete a review. The trigger can be off that with a filter that all teams have completed their review. Which is one if your checkbox fields. 

2.  Run the pipeline on an hourly schedule to run a Search step looking for the conditions to be right for the pipeline to run. 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AnnettaColeman
      Qrew Cadet

Mark -

The for each Work Item, we have a Pipeline that creates a 7 records in the Intake Worklist child table (1 record for each of 7 product teams).   Each Worklist record has 3 question sections related to Impact, Alignment (to Strategy) and Product Team Decision.  Each question has a checkbox or multiple choice related to if Impacted, if Aligned and Decision made plus a few other sub questions in each set and auto fill of User and Date.   Since there are 7 product teams, we have summary fields that feed back to the Parent Table and Formula Field logic related to when ALL teams have completed their Impact & Alignment analysis of the work item.   

We would like the formula field to trigger the pipeline.   Currently the only way we can trigger the pipeline is to have the admin run a report, look for the decision in the formula field and then manually check a redundant box to kick off the pipeline.   (Painful) 

Would a SCHEDULED pipeline be able to run off the formula field(s)?    I guess we could schedule the update to be every 5 minutes since we need this update fairly real time.  But that method would clearly be overkill most of the time.   (sigh)

IS there not a way to trigger the pipeline from a formula field?   Seems like a feature gap to me.   

Annetta Coleman
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

I think you are overthinking this and mentally stuck on the formula field trigger. 

just trigger on when

ANY team has completed their Impact & Alignment analysis of the work item.   

But then coax those summary fields to be lookups down to that Trigger record and have the Blue filter "Add Conditions" check if ALL teams have completed their impact reviews. 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com