Forum Discussion

AnnettaColeman
Qrew Cadet
3 years ago

How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

We have a Project Table that has numerous Children Tables including Tasks.   The Task Table rows are populated from a Task Master because each project is required to have the same ~50 tasks organized by sequence within 5 Phases.   Although the Project Managers have the ability to add additional subtasks on their project plans in Microsoft Project, they are not allowed to add new tasks or phases or re-order these tasks in QuickBase.  (Stakeholders view task status, milestones completed and timelines in QuickBase so the QB view is a dashboard of the corporate standard.)

The Project Managers can easily update the Task rows from a Grid/Edit report.   Opening up the Task Main Form is both confusing and unnecessary for PMs and for Stakeholders since literally everything they need to edit or view is on the Grid/Edit report.   We removed access to the Task Table from the Project Form, but some users are still going to the Task Form via the pencil and eyeball icons to the left of individual grid / edit rows.   I need to block their access to the Task Main Form altogether.

How to I remove the pencil and eyeball icons from this one grid / edit report?  

Thanks in advance for your help!

------------------------------
Annetta Coleman

9 Replies

• no problem,

Locate the report which is used as the embedded report on the project form and edit the configuration on that report to deselect "allow users to view" and "allow users to edit" . That will suppress the  view and edit icons on the embedded report in both view mode and grid edit mode.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AnnettaColeman
      Qrew Cadet

Mark -  Your recommendation doesn't make sense to me since prohibiting users to view and edit means that they cannot view or edit in either the main table nor on the embedded grid edit report.   I need them to view and/or edit the grid edit report.  

Separately, I posted this as a case to QuickBase and got the following response.
      • " Hi Annetta,
        Unfortunately, hiding either the edit or view button would restrict access to the table.
        In fact, if you decide to hide the view button, users in the role where that button is hidden won't have access to the table altogether as they not supposed to view any record.
        As for the pencil button, hiding that would also restrict access to editing records including the grid edit button (it would disappear).
        I also thought of using a grid edit report, but that is also bound by the same rules above (role rules) and would still contain the eye and pencil!
        I would suggest you to add this in our product feedback platform if you want to have this functionality built into Quickbase. (MyApps > Give Feedback on the left side of the screen)
        As always, if other questions come up don't hesitate to create a new ticket. We're here to help! "

Since I cannot turn off the pencil and eye icons from the grid edit report, I will point those to a form that clearly identifies that the form is intentionally turned off and they should view/edit from the embedded report on the parent table.   They can either hit the back button or I could create a button to return them to the parent table.   Any other more elegant recommendations?

Annetta Coleman
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Well surprisingly I think that customer care may have given you an incorrect answer. I suggest that you try my suggestion and change the settings on the embedded report to de-select Allow View / Allow edit. In my testing Grid Edit was still allowed.

Post back if it's not working that way for you but I just did a test and it worked for me.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com