Forum Discussion

EJEJ
Qrew Member
10 years ago

I have a large field that logs previous entries. I want to show everything that is in that field

I have a field called "Details". When a user types info into Details, the form appends that entry into a field called "Log". The problem is that Log gets very long. When Log reaches the preset number of lines, QuickBase truncates it and creates a link that says "Show All Entries".

How can I make quickbase show all entries on the same form?

16 Replies

• Interesting question. I don't recall anyone ever asking that before.

You can make a new field called [Log field all entries]. It will be a formula text field with the formula of just

[my log field]

ie it will be be a mirror field, but since it's just a plain vanilla text field it will just show the text without any of that log behavior. You would set the Form properties to only show in edit mode.
    KellyBianchi
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I just realized that you have to use the 'Trim' formula. However, is there any way to display the truncated information without the dashes?
      KellyBianchi
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      When you 'Trim' a note to display the most recent entry, it displays a series of dashes above the message (as pictured above the word 'lot' in the image I sent). Is there anything that can be added to the this to remove the dashes? Trim(Right([Department Log],"]"))
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Can you post the text of a typical logging field, not just a screen shot.  I can't work with just a tiny snippet of the whole picture.
      KellyBianchi
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      I have a multiple choice drop-down for departments, but I don't want the log history to display in my report. So I created a formula field to mirror the current department selected. To do that, I had to use the formula I described above. Departments include: Office, Lot, Arbitration, Transportation, Online
      I'm able to accomplish what I need functionally, but aesthetically, the dashed lines are just a visual annoyance.  Does that give you a better understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish? Thanks, in advance, for your help.