Forum Discussion

CIAdmin
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Import Reference Fields Based on Proxy

Hello,

Is there a way to import records into a table and use the proxy value for a reference field? I have a field that is generated by a formula which cannot be designated as the key field even though it is the primary identifier of the record, so I have set this formula field as the proxy when adding child records. However, when importing, it seems to only allow for the Record ID# to be imported rather than this proxy that was set. Is there any workaround for this?

The only thing I could think of was to export the parent table and perform a VLOOKUP in Excel with the table I want to import into the child table to import the reference field values. This will work, but I'm hoping for a native solution or simpler workaround within Quick Base.

------------------------------
Brian

2 Replies

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Brian,

Is this a onetime import of data?  If you are not going to repeat it, then the VLookup is the quick way to go.

If this is going to be a regular occurrence there is two ways to tackle.

1) Write an script to find the Record ID and then import the data.   I am guessing the PHP would do this in a couple paragraphs of code.

2) Build a separate Import Table.   Use a Trigger from Juiced to search the Parent Table and find the Record ID.  Then the Trigger will copy that record to the real child table and relate it to the parent.   The last part of the Trigger deletes the information in the Import Table.

www.juicedtech.com 

Their Triggers tool is awesome.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      CIAdmin
      Qrew Member

Got it. It would be done every time we start a new project which would typically be a few times per month. Usually it's hundreds of locations at a time. I think for now, VLOOKUP would work for what we do. Thank you!

------Original Message------

Brian,

Is this a onetime import of data?  If you are not going to repeat it, then the VLookup is the quick way to go.

If this is going to be a regular occurrence there is two ways to tackle.

1) Write an script to find the Record ID and then import the data.   I am guessing the PHP would do this in a couple paragraphs of code.

2) Build a separate Import Table.   Use a Trigger from Juiced to search the Parent Table and find the Record ID.  Then the Trigger will copy that record to the real child table and relate it to the parent.   The last part of the Trigger deletes the information in the Import Table.

www.juicedtech.com ;

Their Triggers tool is awesome.

Don Larson
      Paasporter
      Westlake OH