Forum Discussion

MarleneMarlene
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

Importing data into child table and linking it to parent table

My system has about 100 parts identified by a Part Number in the parent "configuration Table".
Each part has 5 to 10 documents that I would like to archive. 
I created a child table named 'documentation' which gather records called 'documents'.
I created a lookup field to the parent "configuration table" which is the field "Part Number".

Because I have so many references to create, it seems easier for me to list all the documents under excels and to import it them all at once.

The file I upload has the following fields:
Part Number (My lookup field) / Document Number / Document Type / Link to the document...

My problem is, when I upload, all the documents end up linked to the same part (The one listed first...).

That seems like a pretty straightforward issue but I can t find a way around..
Can anyone help?

thanks

3 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Is "Part Number" the key field on the parent table?  If its not the Key field you will need to know the record ID, so you can import the [Related Part].

You cannot import into lookup fields.
  • Thank you. Unfortunately , although Part Number is the key field to me, I was not familiar with the concept and the current Key field in quickbase seems to be a record number link to the order in which I filled the master table.
    Can I change the Key filed now? I have 5 other child/parents relationships that work fine and I do not want to mess everything up... 
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    If you don't want to cause any other issues, I'd recommend doing a vlookup in excel to match the part number to the QB record ID#.

You will need to export a report with two columns ( Part # & Record ID#),  then do the vlookup on your import data, to get the [Related Part] value.

There are a lot of tutorials out there for vlookup help.  But let me know if you get stuck on the QB side.