Forum Discussion

CeciliaMullan
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Importing New Activities to Contacts

I have a batch of new activities that I need to import to existing contacts in my database. The issue I'm running into is that when I import these new activities they are created without a connection to a contact in the system (despite the fact that I have a unique Contact Record ID, Contact Name, etc listed for every activity). The system won't let me import the Contact Record ID with the spreadsheet so the activities are assigned to no one. The way I have designed the Add Activity is that the user must go through the Person's account to add an activity. We had an issue with our last database that people would quickly add activities to no one in particular so they were floating in limbo. Now, the way I have engineered this relationship is backfiring because the reference goes only one way. Is there any way I can "reverse engineer" this so I can assign multiple new activities to an already existing contact? Thanks! 

------------------------------
Cecilia Mullan

7 Replies

• What is the key field for your parent contacts table?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      CeciliaMullan
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Mark - it's the Record ID Number.

Cecilia Mullan
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        The usual way for these "one time" imports is to export the contacts table name and Record ID# to Excel and then use a VLOOKUP  (using the , false option)  to match up the name in the Activities table to the Record ID#, and then import and map the Record ID# into Related Parent Contact.

If this was to be an ongoing process, then  there could be other solutions.

Another approach if the Contacts Table is only used a a Parent to Activities, is to temporarily change the key field of Contacts to be the name field (you may need to make a text field equal to [First & Last Name] by formula and then change that field to a text field, and then import your activities which which I presume has the name field too.   When you import, you would map the name into the Related Parent Name field. and then once the children are attached to the parents, then change the Key field of the Parent Contacts back to Record ID#.  

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com