Forum Discussion

AnnettaColeman
Qrew Cadet
3 years ago

Importing Rich Text from external system

I have created a portfolio project management system in QuickBase that will combine extensive data from both business teams and IT teams.   The business teams do not currently have a project management system.   The IT teams currently utilize ServiceNow across our enterprise (but this system is strictly for IT use).   I am currently performing a weekly export/import of detail from numerous ServiceNow tables and will want to automate this process later this year.

One significant problem....   ServiceNow offers extensive Rich Text options in the (weekly) status report table.   Upon export, the text has embedded HTML formatting code which makes the text content virtually unreadable when this text is imported to QuickBase.   If I strip out the HTML code (540,000 occcurrences in this one table) the result is slightly better but still difficult to read and not suitable for executive sponsor viewing since all of the formatting has been stripped out.   I would like to figure out how to export / import rich text fields from ServiceNow to QuickBase.   

Hopefully the pre-built integration 'pipes' between ServiceNow and QuickBase may be useful in the future, but my enterprise ServiceNow team has stated that they have numerous priorities and ServiceNow to QuickBase integration will likely be pushed out a year or more.   What can I do in the meantime to solve my problem via some export / import process? 

------------------------------
Annetta Coleman

6 Replies

AnnettaColeman
      Qrew Cadet

Justin - I have no problem exporting / importing the text data without the formatting.   Unfortunately once the heavily formatted status reports are stripped of their rich text formatting they are not easy to read.   Think of a heavily bulleted / indented / stylized Power Point executive summary being reduced to a simple text message without bullets, without indentations and without even simple bold font.   

How do I export / import WITH rich text formatting?

Annetta Coleman
        UrsulaLlaveria
        Qrew Assistant Captain
        Could you convert your text fields in Quickbase to Rich Text Fields as well so that they match up? That should re-set the html to display properly?

Ursula Llaveria