Forum Discussion

MichaelBralow1
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

Looking for checkbox for potential duplicates

Have a table of contacts (individuals) with roughly 200,000 records. For a national organization. We want people to be able to enter new individuals with similar names because there may be multiple people named John Smith. I am looking for a way to flag to me potential duplicates.

Either making a new table and some sort of summarizing data up to that table. or a checkbox formula?

I think here are the issues: we have many fields Full Name, First or Last Name etc.. I think I want to avoid Phone or email in the same lookups because people may not have entered a phone for one duplicate but did for a second one. 

Potentially a few different lookups? Ones where full names are the same, one where phone numbers are the same, one where emails, one where address is the same. I could use this to narrow down the the most likly duplicates vs trying to look through 200,000 contacts.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks Quick Base universe!

2 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Here is an idea.  (Not perfect, but might help you narrow the list)

Export the entire list to excel with the: Record ID# and Email.

Use the excel function to "remove duplicates" based on the email.

Then create a new column called [Unique Email Checkbox].
    After you have removed all of the duplicates, put the value of 1 in the new column.

Then Import those records back with just the RID and a new checkbox field.  All your unique emails will have a checkbox checked.

If you do this for phone numbers and possibly full names, you could get a pretty narrow list of contacts, that don't have any checkboxes check.  Now you know those are most likely duplicates, or not good information to begin with.
      MCFNeil
      Qrew Captain
      Ideally at the end of this you make the 'email' field be unique for all future contacts, and avoid having to consolidate.