Forum Discussion

DelynnMontrose
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Looking for error message help

I have a project table that has a Start Date and a Complete Date.
When the user enters a project I want to make sure that the Start Date is before the Completion Date, If they enter a value that is after the completion date I want to inform them of the error.
What is the best way to do this in Quickbase?

6 Replies

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Delynn,

Do you allow the Users to Grid Edit these dates?   If the answer is no, meaning that they are always working inside of a form, you can build a form rule that will Abort the Save and Display a message when the [Completion Date] is < [Start Date].

If you do let them Grid Edit or Import Values to the fields then this is a more complicated problem.  Reach out if you need to discuss an intricate business process.

------------------------------
    Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion
      If protecting the data integrity of data entered in Grid Edit mode or importing is an issue you can use what are called Custom Data Rules.  We can explain that if you need help there.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DelynnMontrose
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks Don! That's what I needed. No I'm not Dr. Who but wouldn't that be fun!

------Original Message------

Delynn,

Do you allow the Users to Grid Edit these dates?   If the answer is no, meaning that they are always working inside of a form, you can build a form rule that will Abort the Save and Display a message when the [Completion Date] is < [Start Date].

If you do let them Grid Edit or Import Values to the fields then this is a more complicated problem.  Reach out if you need to discuss an intricate business process.

Don Larson
      Paasporter
      Westlake OH
        jasonjohnson1
        Qrew Cadet
        1. Go to table settings
        2. Go to Advanced settings
        3. At the bottom there is a part called 'Build custom data rules for this table'
        4. Put in the following formula

If([Complete Date]<[Start Date],"Complete Date cannot occur before Start Date! Exterminate!! Exterminate!!")

1. Check the box Turn custom data rules on?
        2. Save
        Now when you go grid edit and the rule is violated you get this error message and the line is highlighted red

In the record you get this message

Obviously you might want to change that last part.

jason johnson