Forum Discussion

TracyHimes
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Making a required field editable when rule in place to keep same response as other field.

I'm a newbie so bare with me. 
I created an app (looks like a checklist) that has 2 fields. 
Rule created:
When- (Field 1) is equal to "No",  Action -Change (Field 2) to "No".   
User saves and closes checklist. 

I need to make the 2nd field editable so when the user goes back into checklist they can change Field 2 to "Yes" without changing Field 1. 
So, I created a 2nd rule >When (Field 1)  is equal to "No", Make Editable-(Field 2). 

So, this works on a new checklist, but does not work when user goes back into the checklist via Edit mode.  
Any suggestions?

------------------------------
Tracy Himes

8 Replies

• Tracy -

Can you explain your use case a bit? I'm trying to understand why you would want to do this because I have to think there's a better way.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      TracyHimes
      Qrew Member
      We audit documents using a checklist to document results.
      Field 1 would be the actual document we are reviewing. We document if it was found=Yes, not found or incomplete=No or simply N/A if not a required document.
      Field 2 represents if the validation is complete or not. Yes/No/N/A.  
      So the user fills out the checklist, sends the results to the assignee.  The No responses would need to be addressed. They fix the issue and send the auditors back the results/response. 
      The reviewer goes back in the QB checklist to update field 2 from "no" to "yes" to show the validation is complete.  However, we want Field 1 to remain the original response of "no" so we can track the audit findings.

(Excuse my title of this post)

Tracy Himes
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        I think that there's a better way to do this. If I were setting up the application, I would have a Documents table and a Reviews table. The Document record would hold any specific information, file attachments, Assigned Reviewer, etc. The Review records would be your checklist. Each Review record would represent a single pass in the process. So, in this setup, the process would work like this:
        1. User creates a Document record and completes the necessary fields, including the Assigned Reviewer, before saving.
        2. The Assigned Reviewer would see the new Document record on their Dashboard (in a report) and would view the record.
        3. The Assigned Reviewer would select a button to create a new Review record and complete the checklist as you've outlined.
        4. The Assigned Reviewer would change the Status on the Document record, indicating it is ready to be Audited
        5. An Auditor pulls up the Document record and then the completed Review record.
        6. The Auditor selects a 'Start Audit' button (this would really just be a copy button that's be set to bring over all the original values) and begins their work.
        The process would need some tweaking, I'm sure, but this would give you the ability to track 1st review vs the Audit and maintain an accurate history of the process for each Document. This would also allow you to have a single document go back and forth multiple times if necessary.

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
  • Everybody was a newbie once and can always be a newbie to something new Tracy, no worries.

When I do what you say you are doing it works on my end:

New record:

Saved, closed, then opened in edit and Field 2 "No" changed to "Yes":
    Becomes read only when Field 1 "No" changed to "Yes":

This doesn't work unless this box is checked in your form rule:

Adam Keever
      TracyHimes
      Qrew Member
      I tried this and I don't get the "fire" checkbox, however it automatically makes it read only if "yes".  

Tracy Himes
        AdamKeever1
        Qrew Commander
        The "fire" option is only available on change actions.

You are also applying the "make editable" action to the same field in the condition. Notice in the example given that "When Field 1 is equal to No, make editable Field 2".

The action applies to a different field than what is in the condition.

Adam Keever
  • I would suggest you add a third rule to protect the initial result:

You may want to add a formula field for current status. Something like this:

If (
    [Field 1] = "" and [Field 2] = "","",
    [Field 1] = "No" and [Field 2] = "",[Field 1],
    [Field 1] != "" and [Field 2] != "",[Field 2],
    )

Adam Keever