Forum Discussion

ChuckHardy
Qrew Member
2 months ago
Solved

Managing record access for multiple data levels

Hi -- I'm attempting to update access permissions to an existing table which has Records according to 4 different Teams (Team A, B, C, D)  where Team is a field associated with each record.   Each record has basic title information and more confidential details.  I would like all users to be able to see the title information, but only see the confidential details of the Teams they are associated with.  Some users are associated with multiple teams.   I've tried creating different forms to assign to specific roles, but when I assign multiple roles to individuals, the additive nature of the roles makes users see more data than they should.   I've also tried to create a dynamic form rule to show or hide the appropriate sections based on the user role and the Team field but since there are four teams, I need four rules and that creates a conflict.    Is there a  simpler way of solving this problem?

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
Chuck Hardy
  • I'm think you need a formula checkbox field as a helper field, called [OK to Show Confidential Section?]

There is a function called UserRoles("ID")

which returns a text list of all the role numbers the current user is in  

You get the two digit Role number by viewing the role and observing the URL string  

The formula would be something like this

(Contains(UserRoles("ID"), "12") and [Team]= "Team A")

or 

)Contains(UserRoles("ID"), "13" and [Team]= "Team B")

etc for the next 2 Teams.   

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

2 Replies

• I'm think you need a formula checkbox field as a helper field, called [OK to Show Confidential Section?]

There is a function called UserRoles("ID")

which returns a text list of all the role numbers the current user is in  

You get the two digit Role number by viewing the role and observing the URL string  

The formula would be something like this

(Contains(UserRoles("ID"), "12") and [Team]= "Team A")

or 

)Contains(UserRoles("ID"), "13" and [Team]= "Team B")

etc for the next 2 Teams.   

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

ChuckHardy
      Qrew Member

Thanks, Mark.  That was my next thought and what I was considering when you replied.  Thanks for providing the syntax, as I would have likely been hung up there!

Chuck Hardy