Forum Discussion

DerekRoush
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

Match Child Records to Parents

I just imported two tables of data from Salesforce, one for Accounts (parent) and one for Building Data (child).  Each Account has a unique Account ID and the matching Building Data records include that Account ID field as well.

I thought there was a way to add a field on child records that could import the Record ID of any Account with a matching Account ID field, but I can't figure that out.  I could create a VLookup in Excel, but I have 10k+ Account records and that would get cumbersome.

What is the easiest way to link the Building Data child records to the correct Account parent records using the Account ID field that matches on both?

8 Replies

• :)
    Just set the Key field of the Accounts Table to be the Account ID field.  Then make the relationship and use the similarly named field on the child when you make the relationship.
      DerekRoush
      Qrew Trainee
      Now that I changed the key field to a text field, how can I automatically create new Account IDs going forward so that users don't have to manually enter something unique every time?
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      If you do not plan to import again, then I suggest changing the Key field back to the Record ID# now that you have done your one time import.
  • That sounded like a good idea, but apparently my Account IDs were not as unique as I thought. We were using that table in Quick Base for a while before I imported the records from Salesforce, so I figured the issue was blank Account IDs.  I ran a report for that and copied all the Record IDs into the Account ID fields so there are no more blanks. 

But it's still telling me there are still non-unique values and I'm not sure how to figure out which ones those are.
      JustinTorrence
      Qrew Cadet
      You could try exporting the records into excel and searching for duplicates.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      ahh, stay with native QB :)

Just make a summary report to summarize on Account ID, and click the column Heading to sort it by the record count  - the 2 and 3's (duplicates) will float to the top.
      DerekRoush
      Qrew Trainee
      Salesforce uses a hexadecimal ID system and apparently it's case sensitive, but Quick Base does not consider different cases unique.  Fortunately there are only a dozen or so duplications in the 10k records.

Do I need to delete the current Account -> Building Data relationship, or can I manually change the reference field on the Building Data page?