Forum Discussion

JENNIFERPASCHAL
Qrew Trainee
9 months ago

Multi select field from another table

Hello -

For dropdowns that change values, it is helpful to use a separate table to store the values in and then use a field to mark values as active (allows you to drive which options show in the dropdown but allows you to also maintain historical data values). Is there a way to do this with a multi select field? The goal is to allow me a way to tell Quickbase which values to show, allowing the options to change over time and maintain historical records while not clogging up the dropdown choices with things like "retired do not use - Option A".

------------------------------
Thanks in advance,
Jennifer Paschal

5 Replies

• I think you can make a table of valid drop-down choices and set that multi select field to look at the field in that table which has records corresponding to each valid choice.

When the choice no longer becomes valid you need to delete them off of that table.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JENNIFERPASCHAL
      Qrew Trainee

Will deleting list items from the table cause records with that value selected to turn red/be put in "" and cause an error when trying to edit/save the record?

Thanks in advance,
      Jennifer Paschal
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

I suggest that you test ourself, but in my testing it works perfectly, does not block save and does not appear in red on forms or reports, only in red when editing the field.  That invalid drop down choice is in red, but if previously selected will not block the save.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com