Forum Discussion

RubyKapil2
Qrew Captain
4 years ago

Multi-select fields max 100?

I thought Multi-Select fields would allow more than 100 choices in the list, but its seems there is a max. Is this a change from prior? I feel like it used to allow many more in the list with a max of 20 selections. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this if I want a multi-select situation for the same field? I know I can create several Multi-select fields and distribute among those but was looking for a one field solution if possible. Thanks.

------------------------------
Ruby Kapil
rubykapil@wi-finity.com
Wi-Finity, Inc

8 Replies

• Disregard, I setup a separate table for values

Ruby Kapil
    rubykapil@wi-finity.com
    Wi-Finity, Inc
      DavidLaycock
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Ruby,

Can I check, please?

Are you saying that it's possible to get (and you have successfully got) around the 100 option limit on Multi-select text fields, by using an input type of 'From another field" for the options?

Only being able to select 20 items has never been a problem for me.

But restricting the list to 100 options has caused me frustration many times.

)-:

I do use the 'From another field' but I've always limited the number of options to fewer than 100.

If this is a way around the limit, then many thanks for highlighting.

(-:

D

David Laycock
        RubyKapil2
        Qrew Captain
        Hi David,
        I had to setup a separate new Table Buildmaps just to hold the values that I want the user to select from.
        The new Table is stand alone, no relationships needed.
        In there is a simple Text field, called Buildmap, set to Unique.
        I imported all my choices into this Text field.

Then in the Fieldmaps field - the field that I want the users to enter their Multi-Select choices, I set type as Multi-Select Text.
        Then Input "From another field".
        Select shared field option which then pops up a list of Apps.
        I selected the same App that Fieldmaps is in because the Table containing all the Buildmaps is also in this same App. The table of values can be in the same App or a different App.
        Then another window asks you to pick the fieldname and you would select the fieldname that contains all your choices, in my case Buildmaps.

I entered 116 choices in Buildmaps and it shows them in my Fieldmaps field and user can select them.
        I will end up with over 400 values eventually. 

User cannot add new choices in Fieldmaps, so I set up a button that takes them to "Add a new Buildmap" if they need to update the Buildmap list. I put the button on the form and also in the Table they use for Grid Edit, for convenience. 

Hope this helps.

Ruby Kapil
        rubykapil@wi-finity.com
        Wi-Finity, Inc