Forum Discussion

RoyKiesling
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

Multiple choice field with choices from shared field - wrong choices

I have a multiple choice field in one table that shares the selection options from a field in a different table. Instead of pulling from the typed in list of possible selections, it pulls from the field data itself. So any selection that has not yet been made will not appear. 

In my case, the source list is where defaults will be set, so some values will never be used in that table, but I need the values to appear in the second table where these defaults can be overridden.  

I can work around by manually duplicating the list in each multiple choice field, but this seems like the wrong answer.

I understand why it may have been done this way, but it is lousy for my use case.

5 Replies

• I suggest that you go to the source field and simply change it to a multiple-choice field with the choices that you want.
  • I am not  sure you are understanding my issue: the source field is already a multiple choice field with a list of choices.  The second field does not pick up the list of choices I typed in; instead it picks up actual values from the first field data.  
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      OK, I�d did not know it behaved that way. An alternative is to make a proper table for the choices, make the field with the choice the key field and then change those other tables to draw their choices from relationships.
      LauraThacker
      Qrew Captain
      This problem is the primary reasons why 99% of the time I do not recommend this type of field-reference option.  However, recently I used a "use from list" option when I had 3 fields of the same multi-select options needing to have the same options.  I point them all to a "source table" of records where the key field in that table is the option.  This way we maintain the list in one place and can use it reliably in 3 other places.
        SonglorXiong
        Qrew Member
        Laura,

I have a need for this.  Could you stretch little bit to tell how you go about doing it?  I'm new to Quick Base.  Thanks.

------------------------------
        Songlor Xiong
        ------------------------------