Forum Discussion

JoeHargrave
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

New Dashboard versus old Home Page - and Mobile App Usage

I have found a little 'perk' that may be inadvertently adding a new feature I've wanted for a long time. I've been looking for a way for quite some time, to have different dashboards or home pages for mobile versus computer. Since it seems the new beta dashboards are not opening on the mobile app, I've just gotten the ability to do what I need. It appears that the mobile app uses whatever home page was assigned to a role prior to assigning a new dashboard as the home page for that role.

So I can set a home page for a role, to an existing home page that I've edited for mobile use. Then, if I create a new dashboard as the home page for the role, it becomes the home page on computer, but the mobile uses the previous home page. This is awesome! But, does anyone know if this is intentional, or if it will continue to behave this way if/when new dashboards become mobile friendly? I would love to build old home pages for mobile and new dashboards for computer, and assign the roles accordingly. But I don't want to lose what I've done once the new dashboard becomes mobile friendly, if it ever will.

Just thought someone here might have some insight on this.  THANKS

------------------------------
Joe Hargrave

2 Replies

• I have not experimented, but it is unlikely that the Mobile Role remembers what Home Page it used to be assigned to.  It is more likely that the New Dashboards are not able to work on Mobile so the Role reverts back to the Default Home page.

As for if they will ever get the New Dashboards working on Mobile, of course I would not know officially and probably no one would know that for sure, even internally. But they seriously triage internal resources to enhancements with the biggest bang and they act very strategically.  I can't see why they would put effort into getting the fancy new dashboards working in Mobile mode.  It seems like exactly the wrong target audience fo the new Dashboards.  Mobile tends to be the front line staff trying to get their job done, not Mr. Executive looking over the landscape of what's happening on a broad scale.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JoeHargrave
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks Mark!  That was kinda what I was thinking too.  And maybe the mobile is going to a default dashboard instead of the most recently assigned home page.  I think it was coincidentally the same thing when I was playing with it.  All makes perfect sense though.

Joe Hargrave