Forum Discussion

AnnettaColeman
Qrew Cadet
5 months ago

New Form Issue: Adding Child record and redirecting back to parent form

I am migrating an App from Legacy Forms to New Forms and having problem with adding child records from the new parent form.  

Example:

Project table has a child table for 'attachments'.   

• In Legacy forms, the add button launches the child form, where an attachment type is identified, User and date are populated, attachment of file is made and user is redirected back to the place in the parent form to view the child table.

• In New parent form I have added the embedded child table and can view the exiting records. When I click the Add Attachment button, it launches the child form, and when completed has following two issues:
    • Does not populate the relationship field leaving the child record orphan
    • Does not redirect back to the Parent Form at all
  • The table relationship and adding of children records works fine using the legacy form, but fails when trying to add children records from New Form.

What should I try?

------------------------------
Annetta Coleman

3 Replies

AlexWilkinson
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Annette,

Please report this problem by opening a case with to Quickbase Support. They have already escalated two variants of the problem to the product team, and need to hear from every impacted user so that they can get the right details escalated Specifically, at least these two are on their list:

- using %%rid%% in a custom rich-text button on a new-style form
    - using &NextURL= to return from a ?a=API_GenAddRecordForm 

There might be others.

One or more of the following might help:

- force a return to view mode by using "&aftersaveview=1" (which is specifically for returnURLs for new-style forms)
    - try another undocumented new feature "&aftersaveurl="
    - don't use a custom rich-text button. instead use a plain vanilla formula-URL button with "&z=" & Rurl()

Alex Wilkinson

Alex

AlexWilkinson
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Annetta, sorry, one more comment and one clarification:

- A custom rich-text button that pops up a new window and then, when the pop-up closed, updates the original record, does not work if the original is a new-style form. This one has been escalated.

- The problem with &NextURL may be sporadic or may depend on some other factors. I do not know whether it has been escalated.

Alex

• Update - QB support was able to resolve problem.  When migrating an App from Legacy to New Forms, one needs to migrate the children table forms before testing the Parent table forms.   This will enable the children table forms to show as a sub form on the Parent table form and for the child records to be added properly.

Annetta Coleman