Forum Discussion

_anomDiebolt_
Qrew Elite
7 years ago

No Allow Some HTML Option On Text Formula Fields?

I don't see the "Allow Some HTML" option on text formula fields.

15 Replies

• Apparently you have to use Formula Rich Text field now. I wonder of this change breaks existing text fields which had the Allow Some HTML option set ...
  • So over the weekend they introduced a new field type called Rich Text and formula Rich Text.  All the field which used to be formula text fields, but with HTML enabled check boxes are now Formula Rich text fields and that concept of a checkbox no longer exists.
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      I figured that was it.

BTW, in creating a Rich Text Formula field QuickBase should have allowed the insertion of fields that would be interpolated. So you could write a Rich Text Formula like this:

"<h1>[Title]</h1>"

instead of:

"<h1>" & [Title] & "</h1>"

This would have been extremely helpful.

There ain't enough creative juice flowing.

When I get a chance I will have to create a RTF will all HTML elements to see which ones are allowed.
    DavidJung
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Very cool to finally get this field type ... until I found it broke my form rules to copy text into the new rich text fields. I assume QB will call this a bug.
  • Mark would be correct with the release this weekend all existing Formula - Text fields did get converted over to the Rich Text field type and going forward Rich Text would be the option you would want for any Formula - Text fields that would have had HTML enabled.

In your instance David did it break a form rule to copy text into a rich text field or was it a form rule copying text out of a rich text field? If this behavior is persisting we would certainly love to know about it so that we can look into it, since this was a significant change we are trying to find any issues or bugs that may have come up with the field type being opened up. 
      DavidJung
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Evan--

It is copying from a rich text formula from a linked table.

I have a table with a RT-formula field that I use as a template, then in the linked table, the form rule copies that linked field info into a RT-text field for the user to further edit. So maybe it is that it is from another table, but I doubt it. In the past, when I've used js to create an rich text editing tool, I had similar problems.
      EvanMartinez
      Qrew Elite
      Hi David,

So you were using a form rule to grab a related rich text fields value and then push that linked field into another formula field? Were you doing this via some embedded scripting? Typically a formula fields return isn't open for editing by a user on the form, so I ask just to get clarification. 
      DavidJung
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      No, I am pushing a rich-field-formula-from-a-linked-table into a rich-text-field (used to be a text field 'with some html').
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    I'm coming out a month plus hiatus from the community...

Try to set up the IOL with a formula text box, without the html.
    During the beta of this I brought up that it causes errors and will break many apps that use this and other variable onload techniques. 

They said they would address that prior to release.  

Doesn't look like they did.

Say you want to make a new button formula text that appears on all records...  YOU CAN"T.

Every release I'm more and more confident that the developers don't test or use quick base.
      MCFNeil
      Qrew Captain
      I'm curious how they are handling all of the legacy fields.  

Looks like the field properties are still there in the schema, they just hide the UI.
      hmmm.