Forum Discussion

HowardFu
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

Notification Triggered by Child Record Update

I have a Project Log (parent) and Items Table (child). The items table has an [Approval Date] field. I would like to trigger a notification at the Project level when all Items in that project have been approved. I created look up fields, [# of Items] and [# of Approved Items].​ I want the notification to trigger when [# of Items] = [# of Approved Items] but it's not working. Any suggestions?

------------------------------
Howard Fu

8 Replies

• Notification will only fire when the record is edited by hand or by an API.  Not by virtue of summary fields changing.  I suggest that you make the notification off the table of the record that  changed.  Look up those summary fields back down to the child and use them to filter the Notification.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      HowardFu
      Qrew Cadet
      Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and it only works when one item is updated. When multiple Approval Dates are filled in at once, it doesn't work. Do you know what that is or a way to resolve this?

Howard Fu
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        So, if you were to update 10 records are you looking to send 10 Notifications?  Or 1 Notification with a link to the 10 records.

If you want to fire 10 Notifications, try this trick.
        Set up a date time fields 
        [Date/Time to Trigger Notification]

Set up an Automation.  Trigger on the same conditions as your Notification and have it update the field [Date/Time to Trigger Notification] with the current date / time.

Then set up a Notification to fire when that changes. Post back and let me know if that works.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com