Forum Discussion

RubyKapil2
Qrew Captain
5 years ago

Offline options for field data collection

We have field workers in remote locations that do not always have access to internet signal. 
When they enter this area, they are forced to handwrite their info on paper or log to an excel file.
Then come back to office are to enter their data. Double-work for them.
Does anyone have any ideas on a solution to this?
Should they go out with an Excel file on a tablet and enter values there to then later import to existing records using QB Record ID?
Is there a third party interface?
Is there some basic native functions I am not familiar with that would work.

As a side note: Having access to Qbase in field is helpful in that they can locate poles using Lat/Long and the Map Report.
So if a solution could do this that would be great. 

I'm open to suggestions and ideas. Thanks.

------------------------------
Ruby Kapil
rubykapil@wi-finity.com
Wi-Finity, Inc

6 Replies

• My sort suggestion is to wait for native Quick Base off line.  Public information is hard to come by, but 

i believe they talked about it at last years EMPOWER, at least in the Product Lab Area,

It's mentioned in this thread here https://community.quickbase.com/browse/blogs/blogviewer?BlogKey=7b730b7b-7aaf-4119-8be7-0b437ace820f&CommunityKey=cb3a8821-a7ad-4610-b05d-5cedfbe88d0c&tab=blogviewer

buried in there was this

We're aiming to deliver some version of offline, barcode scanning, geolocation, and signature by the end of the year, but because we're always learning as we develop, that timeline could possibly shift. It's our target though, so stay tuned!

That reference to the end of the year was 2019 and some of those features have been released, but not offline.

I don't think there has been any public timetable for offline.  Maybe if you put in a support ticket they may be able to give you some insight as to the timing.  Maybe they are getting close to announcing Early Access for off line data entry.  But likely not for accessing a whole database off line as that would require downloading the whole app into the phone's memory!

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
    HeatherBryant2
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Hi Ruby,
    Quick Base is currently offering an EA on offline mobile data-entry. Up to 10 apps can be used in an offline mode for data-entry. Like Mark said you won't access the whole app offline, so viewing records or editing existing records is not available. Neither is reference field data. If it's just a simple data-entry form with no reference data it will be a great match for your needs. I don't know when they plan for GA. You should reach out to your customer success manager before going to any other solution; find out what your options/a timeline is.

Heather Bryant
      RubyKapil
      Qrew Trainee
      I reached out to our AE to see if can get EA - maybe I can find an interim workaround using this.

Ruby Kapil
        JordanMcAlister
        Qrew Captain
        We seem to be in the same boat - I have field collectors go out to collect pole information using a quickbase app, and we need to have offline capabilities as well and currently they use an excel spreadsheet on an ipad and upload it into an attachment field on the form when they get better connection. Originally, offline was set to release at the end of the year, but they then told me that they would have something for us to use by the end of the first quarter of 2020. Since they have early access already for it, it shouldn't be too far away

Jordan McAlister